Want to learn how to stay fit even if you hate exercise?
Want to have a flat tummy, the right shape, maintain your banging body or live a more healthy life but hate exercise?
are in constant need to “suck belle make cloth fine” have screenshots of your ideal body on your phone, and you just look at them every once in a while and say I cannot come and kill myself I’ll start tomorrow. So you eat your fufu and melon soup at 2am just before going to bed because you know people in your family are fat have body, then pause.
Step away from the fufu S L O W L Y with your hands where I can see them because this post is for you!
Well, you are not the only one. Not all of us can “find ourselves” with yoga, or by travelling the world. Apart from the fact that I hate travelling, I don’t have enough money for transport.
That said, we all can’t be a Khloe Kardashain that loves the gym and probably sees herself in gym heaven in her dreams. Most of us know that we should exercise more but then we just feel like, meh, life is short and Jesus is coming soon so we say- ‘I’ll rest for today. After all, this body is not my own.
Las las In the end, it shall return to dust’.
The first mental picture I had of the gym was of sweaty angry looking men lifting heavy weights with Dwayne Johnson-ish muscles, huffing and puffing, Chanting ‘no pain! no gain!’ and making the face you make when you are constipated and trying to poop. But now I know better. It’s not only about losing weight or building scary muscles but staying fit and healthy.
However, I still haven’t been inside a gym at the time of writing this post.
Truth is, everyone wants a flat tummy or at least a nice figure these days. Hence, the tsunami of product adverts like:
- Get 6 packs in 2days with this natural syrup
- How to get your flat tummy in 5minutes
- Newly discovered belly fat sucker
- The ultimate quick action fat terminator
- Dr Ogbonge overnight six packs syrup
- And the weird person in your comment section on Facebook saying “Hey Rose I lost 10pounds……”
Before I list out the various ways you can exercise without even knowing, note that in order for any of these procedures to work you must follow these simple rules
- Pick an exercise you enjoy– first of all I understand that you hate exercise but I am sure there’s that one thing you can do that isn’t too overwhelming. Find it and do it.
- Take baby steps- I remember some 3years ago I decided to join the association of morning joggers. I jogged until I was drenched in sweat and that was mostly because I wanted to jog for longer than my roommates. It is rather difficult to say if I jogged for almost an hour or almost 10 hours. It sure felt like 10 hours to me. Although my roommates think it was under 45 minutes. 45 minutes, one hour, 10 hours, who cares? I jogged for a veeeery long time. After I was sure that they’d have gone back to the hostel, I jogged back feeling like the one with the greatest stamina. Well, they weren’t back, I desperately needed to bath and felt really nauseous. Throughout that day and the next, I felt excruciating pain in my legs and that was my last day. For someone who last jogged at 7years ago to do that much on the first day, I killed my fitness dreams before they even had a chance to mature. I guess all I’m saying is, you can’t do everything over night and don’t try to impress anyone with your stamina. Start small then grow into it!
- Consistency is key- exercise is like everything in life. Be consistent. Even the bible acknowledges consistency when it said “pray without ceasing”. Find a routine you can stick to with a little effort and build up from there.
- Set feasible/realistic goals- Don’t deceive yourself by saying you’ll lose 50kg in a week. Start with 5kg in a week and you might lose 2kg, that’s progress.
- Reward yourself- I did not say you should reward yourself with a box of pizza before and after meals for a week! Instead, set targets like “if I lose 2kg this week, I’ll treat myself to a scoop of ice cream or I’ll get myself a new pair of shoes”.
With all these struggles in mind, I penned down these simple things we can incorporate into our daily routines to make exercising not seem like a chore and most importantly, yield results.
How To Stay Fit Even If You Hate Exercise
- Eat right
I can’t emphasize this enough. Waking up every morning to jog and then drinking a big sized carbonated drink after jogging, to “cool down” because you feel hot is funny. Engaging in stupid fasting isn’t the answer either. Like my mum will say, eat 3 times a day but reduce your ration and change your menu.
- Take the stairs
Taking the stairs can help you burn fat more than you know. It involves more muscle movement than jogging or running on a flat surface. It also works on your glutes, biceps etc
Trekking is one underrated form of exercise. The benefits of trekking are very important. If like me, your feet swell up as a result of sitting or standing too long in one place, taking a walk might be just what you need. In my case, it totally removes all traces of swelling. The fun part is you don’t have to trek from Calabar to Lagos. Just around your neighborhood in the evening is all it takes. Thank me later. Trekking a good way of exercising without knowing it. Plus, you save money and help the planet.
I can’t dance to save my life, so don’t worry, I got you! I dance in the secret and my only audience is my mirror. When I do this, I sweat so much and sometimes pant. Because all that body movement can be all you need. You can dance like a mad person without any judgement or risk of seeing your dance video on the internet with the hashtag #whenyouaresecretlymad. It’s just you and your mirror.
- Clean your house
Cleaning and decluttering is always a win. All that high dusting, sweeping, mopping, and cleaning is part of exercise.
- Stop eating late
This has been my habit for many years, I eat whenever I am hungry I don’t care what the time is. I eat whatever is available. Now I try to drink water instead of eating. Drinking water not only keeps me hydrated, it fills up my stomach and helps me forget I am hungry.
- Avoid lying down immediately after eating
One of my bad habits I am also trying to curb. I could just eat, push my plate aside, lie down and start fidgeting with my phone or start seeing a movie on my laptop. 2hours later I would wake up to my phone or laptop in an absurd position.
- Try swimming:
Have you ever seen a fat mermaid?
Exactly, that’s how they keep fit! My secret pet peeve for many years has been swimming in commercial swimming pools. But if you have no problem you could spend time swimming.
It’s 2020 in a about 2 weeks, how much longer are you going to ‘suck belle make cloth fine‘?
How much longer are you going to say ‘na fat I fat, I no kill person’?
I can’t assure you that you’ll ever be an instagram fitness influencer with 10million followers and a verified account, but you’d surely derive all these amazing benefits of exercise.
Do you also hate exercise? Which of the points are you guilty of? Let me know in the comments!